https://familyallergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/faa-logo.png 0 0 Family Allergy https://familyallergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/faa-logo.png Family Allergy2017-01-23 18:36:262018-05-24 14:46:21Dr. Tim Franxman talks Winter Allergies with Fox19 Now
Dr. Tim Franxman talks Winter Allergies with Fox19 Now
Dr. Tim Franxman talked to Fox19 Now in Cincinnati about winter allergies.
Many people ask if they have allergies or an infection?
- Think about the duration of symptoms?
- Cold – 2-3 days
- Allergies – 4-6 weeks
- Do you have a fever?
- If you are running a fever you may need to talk to your primary care doctor about an infection.
- Hay fever is a misnomer, allergies do not cause a fever.
What could be causing allergy symptoms in the winter?
- Tree, Grass, Weed pollen are not around in winter
- Dust Mites
- Pet Dander
Manage indoors allergens by:
- Reducing Moisture
- Filter out dust
- Dust-Mite Proof covers for mattresses and pillows
- Keep house clean
- Turn on ventilation fans
Dust mites and mold flourish with high humidity, keep humidity below 50% to discourage growth.
What Medications should you take?
- oral antihistamines
- nasal steroids
If the medications are not controlling symptoms, an allergist can help recommend avoidance methods, prescribe additional medications, and may recommend allergy shots.
Here’s the link to watch the video: